5.2.16

31 - Mission impossible

Gloria was nervous, but did not panic. Panic was OK for trivialities, she knew. It was hard thinking that was needed now.
She realized that making a fuss might force Gregor and the Rossi woman to do something they would all regret. She would keep a low profile and hope that someone would notice she was missing and start looking for her.
After a while, Gregor brought her a tray of edibles and a fresh pot of coffee.
“We aren’t planning to hurt you, Mrs Hartley,” he told her. “It’s unfortunate that you came here, but we won’t keep you here longer than necessary, I promise.”
“Who are you hiding me from?”
“The person who jammed that hypodermic needle into Sandra Rossi’s neck, Mrs Hartley.”
Gloria was still wondering how they could know the cause of Sandra Rossi’s death, seeing as the police had been baffled.
“‘A jab?”
“That’s normal procedure, Mrs Hartley. We told you that.”
“Since when is murder normal? And why would he – or she – want to do that to me?”
“To silence you.”
“But I don’t know anything.”
“They don’t know that.”
“They? You mean there’s more than one of them?”
“Of course.”
“So I have to stay here until whoever it is caught or at least put out of action?”
“It might come to that.”
The woman who looked so much like Sandra Rossi entered the room.
“We have work to do, Gregor.”
“I was attending to our guest, Lauretta.”
So that was her first name.
The woman did not seem to mind that her name had been mentioned.
“Lauretta? You look so like Sandra.”
“That’s why she’s dead, Mrs Hartley. It should have been me.”
“But you are not from Middlethumpton.”
“No. Sandra went to live there because she thought she would be safe.”
“Safe from what, for heaven’s sake?”
Gloria was nothing if not persistent.
Lauretta Rossi and Gregor exchanged glances.
“OK. You might as well know what it’s all about. It won’t make any difference now.”
Lauretta Rossi did not tell the whole story, but she did reveal that Sandra had been in a relationship with a man she met in London, someone you would have taken for a businessman. But that’s hardly the right word to describe someone who trades in weapons, young women and drugs.
“But that’s terrible.”
“The day came when Sandra had to make a choice. She left him without any warning and moved into the apartment in Middlethumpton that I had found for her. She cut herself off from everything. I was the only person who knew where she was. She could trust me, of course. I helped her financially. Our likeness helped. It had always been considered uncanny.”
“I suppose it was you I saw on the street sometimes then.”
“Yes. That’s how I know who you are, Mrs Hartley. Sandra did not want to get too friendly in case you noticed that there were two of her, so to speak.”
That knowledge silenced Gloria effectively.
“Then she was traced to Middlethumpton by the gang working for the man she had left. She phoned me the day before she was killed to say she had recognized one of them lurking outside her house. She was terrified.”
“So why did she go out shopping? She was found dead in a changing room at a fashion store.”
“I don’t know the answer to that. We think someone lured her there, probably imitating my voice. We could not be seen together at the flat for obvious reasons.
“You mean that I would notice?”
“Not just you, Mrs Hartley.”
“But why would anyone want to kill her? She had left London and surely she was not dangerous for them since she had cut herself off completely.”
“But they thought they were killing me, Mrs Hartley. I work for MI6 and they must have found that out, too. They have a strategy for getting rid of people like me. They kill our friends and relatives first as a warning.”
“But you said they thought you were her. So they thought they were killing the person they wanted to.”
“’You have a point there, Mrs Hartley, but I’m speculating on most of this, including any role you might play.”
Gloria now thought that she was reliving some sort of childhood nightmare, with shadows on walls and footsteps on the stairs. Lauretta Rossi looked anxious, as well she might.
“Can you keep all that to yourself? You see, we cannot work effectively if someone outside our department knows who we are, and that includes the police. Do you understand?”
“Of course. I won’t say a word to anyone.”
“If you do, you and your family will be in deep trouble.”
“I’m in enough trouble now, Miss Rossi. I took Sandra’s diary from her bedside cupboard.”
“That was probably a good move, Mrs Hartley.”
“That’s how I found your phone number.”
“Where is the book now?”
“Here.”
Gloria drew the little book out of a pocket in the lining of her jacket.
“You’d better take it,” she said. “I’d prefer it not to be found on me.”
“Why didn’t you dispose of it?”
“I thought I might need it.”
“You won’t. It’s actually mine.”
“And I phoned all the numbers before yours.”
“That was not a good idea.”
“How was I to know?”
“You couldn’t have.”
“One more question, Miss Rossi. If no one knows you work for MI6, or Interpol, or whatever, how come Sandra was identified as you? How did the gangsters find out about you in the first place?”
“We think Sandra must have shown her friend in London a photo with both of us on it, or someone found one among her personal possessions. I don’t know how much Sandra talked about us, but we are sure that killing her was a warning to all my colleagues that they were onto us. Sandra was not interested in revenge or betrayal and in the end the corpse could have been either of us. You confirmed that with your identification.”
“So as I understand it, Sandra was not in your organization.”
“No. But Sandra was naïve and talkative. We think they moved in as soon as they had traced her to Middlethumpton. The boyfriend was probably not the assassin since seeing him would have alarmed her enough for her to take steps to disappear and cover her tracks except that she did not have time to do so, and that was part of the plan, I assume. The killer will have worked from a photo of us both and moved in as soon as he had his instructions.”
“It’s horrific.”
“It gets worse. It’s unlikely that they would kill one of us and not the other, not least because they probably don’t know which of us is already dead.”
“I’d identified one as Sandra so she was dead, but you were not. Are you more important than Sandra was?”
“That too. That’s one reason why you are a danger to them. They don’t know if you were aware of Sandra’s double. They don’t know if you identified me as Sandra on my instructions.”
“In other words, I’m in great danger now.”
“We both are, Mrs Hartley. Gregor and I are leaving here early tomorrow morning. We will drive to the airport and catch a plane to a destination I cannot reveal to you for your own safety. You will stay here until the police find you.”
“What if they don’t find me?”
“We’ll make sure they do.”
Gloria could think of nothing useful to say.
“Get some sleep now. You won’t see us again. Don’t try to get out during the night as you would endanger our movements and possibly your own life.”
“I’m not going anywhere. You needn’t lock the door.”
“It must be locked. The police must believe you have been a prisoner.”
“Well, aren’t I?”
***
It only took Cleo a couple of minutes to get from the library to HQ. She was glad she was going to see Gary because she was emotionally confused and needed to confirm to herself that what she felt for him was genuine. The problem of Gloria should have been uppermost in Cleo’s mind, but it wasn’t.
She took the stairs to Gary’s office on the second floor. He was alone and greeted her with an emotional hug and kisses. At that moment Cleo almost completely forgot why she was there.
“You sweep me off my feet,” she said. “I was not sure if I should believe what happened between us.”
“What happened between us is what happens to lovers,” said Gary.
“I never thought of myself as a lover,” said Cleo. “I was going for safety and comfort when I got involved with Robert. He is not a sweeping-off-feet sort of guy.”
“And I am? You flatter me, Miss Hartley.”
“That’s the problem. Gary. I’d like to think you mean it all”
“Believe me, I mean every word.”
“That’s what I wanted to hear again,” Cleo replied, now pulling him into an embrace.
“You kissed me in full view of that impossible butcher guy,” said Gary.
“He had already not believed that I would sleep with you, Gary.”
“I knew that’s how he would react.”
“I was astonished. It was like a blessing!”
“So let’s continue our meeting at Romano’s,” Gary suggested.
“Tomorrow, Gary. I can’t get away today.”
“OK, tomorrow.”
Gary did not waste words once he got round to the business of Cleo’s mother.
“We think we know where Gloria is,” he told Cleo.
“Where?”
“In Birmingham.”
“What’s she doing there, for heaven’s sake?”
“We traced all the phone calls from her flat and the last one was to a number in Birmingham. After that she didn’t place any more calls so we deduced that she must have decided that she had traced the right contact.”
“What do you mean by contact?”
“Most of the calls were to London numbers, one of which belonged to a drug-dealer we’ve been trying to pin down for some time. Your mother was playing with fire ringing that number, Cleo. But it wasn’t the last on the list and presumably no one answered the phone. The problem is that her number was probably recorded on the recipient’s phone.”
“Unless she had switched that function off, Gary. Where do you think she found those numbers?”
“We assume that she pocketed a diary or some other notebook in Rossi’s bedroom. We didn’t find anything of that kind at the flat, or at Mrs Hartley’s, which is unusual. Most people keep some sort of record of their contacts, but she didn’t. Don’t you think that’s strange?’
“I can’t believe my mother would do a thing like that.”
“Your mother seems to be a resourceful sort of person. Wherever she is now, she must still have that list of contacts.”
“So there’s a chance she might call some of the numbers she did not get through to.”
“Yes, and that would increase the danger she’s already in.”
“But you know where she is, Gary. Can’t you get her out?’
“We only think we know, Cleo, on the basis of her having called one number after another until she got a positive reaction and decided to follow it up, I can’t think of any other explanation.”
“Always assuming my mother was thinking as objectively as you are, my love.”
Gary broke into his report.
“What did you say?”
“Well, you are, aren’t you?”
“If my divorce was through we’d get married next week and that would be the end of any doubts, Cleo.”
“Yes, I will – assuming that was a proposal.”
“I‘ll keep you to that, Miss Hartley.”
“I sincerely hope so one day, Mr Hurley!”
“In the meantime we have the address to which that phone number belongs, but we are moving in very cautiously. Mrs Hartley could be strapped to a bomb, for instance. We need to know more before we break into the house.”
There was a whole row of many-times thumbed Mickey Spillane paperbacks at the library. Useful reading if you wanted to find out what went on the in minds of criminals. There was less comment on the feeling of relatives. When she wrote a book, she would take that into consideration, Cleo mused.
“Can’t I do anything? I feel so helpless.”
“No, Cleo. We’ll take care of your mother, rest assured.”
“If no one else does first. I know my mother is a bit of a busybody, but this really takes the biscuit.”
The phone on Hurley’s desk rang.
“That was Birmingham. The house your mother is probably being kept at belongs to someone called Smith. Presumably not the real name. According to neighbours, Smith is quite a young man. A bit foreign looking – Greek or Italian. He claims to be a private investigator, but no one really knows anything significant about his activities or about the woman who sometimes stays there. That said, Cleo, people commuting to and from suburbs are more interested in their own anonymity, so they tend not to pry.”
“And Gloria?”
“Probably in the house, but a car was seen driving off at dawn, so we aren’t sure where your mother is now.”
“Who saw that car at five o’clock in the morning?”
“The milkman, Cleo. My colleagues up there are leaving no stone unturned.”
“A very observant milkman,” said Cleo.
“Apparently a self-styled amateur sleuth. Works hand in hand with the guy delivering papers.”
“I thought little boys did that,” said Cleo.
“The news agent apparently does the first round so that commuters can get the paper before they leave the house.”
“And he also saw the car leaving.”
“It seems so. The colleague in charge of the Birmingham team is going round neighbours showing photos of Sandra Rossi. If she spent time there, it would establish a connection.”
The phone rang again.
“Bingo. That woman was Sandra Rossi, Cleo. She was seen going into the house a few days ago. “
“But she’s been dead since Monday,” said Cleo.
“That’s what we thought, but you know how the memory can play tricks. For all we know, it was a week ago or longer that the woman was at the house.”
The phone rang for the third time and this time Gary looked distraught. He made notes while he was talking. When he had hung up he sat in silence for several minutes. He consulted his database about the car registration number he had written down during the phone-call, while Cleo waited with baited breath. Gary finally reassured her that the news he had just received was not about her mother.
“But this business is extraordinary, Cleo. If I’m honest, I don’t know what to make of it.”
Cleo waited expectantly.
“A car has exploded just outside Birmingham airport. It was probably cause by a bomb, but a bit of a damp squid. The man was thrown clear, but the woman, who was driving, did not survive. The car did not go up in flames, so the police was able to retrieve some luggage and the travel documents. The woman’s passport was made out in the name of Sandra Rossi. They’re emailing me her passport photo and the one of the man.”
“But Sandra Rossi is dead.”
“Your mother identified her, Cleo. She could have made a mistake.”
Gary printed the photo of the dead woman. He put the photo of the dead woman Gloria had identified as Sandra Rossi on his desk and placed the printout of the second Sandra Rossi next to it.
“But this is the same woman,” exclaimed Cleo.
“Or her double.”
“Or her twin,” suggested Cleo. “If this woman visited the woman my mother thought was Sandra Rossi, my mother might even have seen both of them at some time or other, but never together.”
“That’s one explanation. But why did the woman in the car have Sandra Rossi’s passport?”
“Because she is Sandra Rossi and the dead woman is someone else.”
“Or this other woman is using Sandra Rossi’s passport for reasons we do not yet know. We need to know more about the couple in the car. Where they were going? What was in their luggage? Was it their car? Who could have wanted to kill them? How did the man manage to survive?”
“Do you have a photo of him, Gary?’
“I’ll print it.”
Cleo had never seen the guy before.
“I’ll have to wait for all the personal data to be run through the databases available to us, Cleo. I don’t think there any point in your waiting here. I’ll phone you when I have news.”
“OK, but please keep me informed.”
“I still have one more damning piece of information, Cleo. It came in just before you came. It might be important.”
“I’m curious!”
“The forensic report on the dead Rossi woman confirmed that she was killed by a fast-working lethal substance injected into her shoulder. A tiny bruise revealed where the needle went in. She didn’t stand a chance. An attack like that takes only seconds and the poison works almost instantly. Someone followed her into the store and murdered her.”
Cleo thought it would be a long time before she ventured into that fitting-room again.
“But who dumped her in that yard, Gary?”
“I wish I could answer that. Je t’aime, Cleo.”
“Moi aussi, Gary.”
Cleo went back to the library, but she was quite unable to concentrate on her work. Finally she left Clare in charge and on impulse returned to Gary’s office.
“What’s happened, Cleo? You look all done in. I’ll get you some coffee.”
“Thanks. I could not sit in that library any longer. Clare is there for the rest of the day. Have there been any developments?”
“We’re moving fast now. I know how you feel. This department sees a lot of drama... And if I’m not mistaken, there’s one coming down the corridor now.”
That comment heralded the unexpected arrival of Gloria Hartley, who had enjoyed a thrilling flight in a police helicopter. She was overjoyed to see Cleo, despite having a guilty conscience about going expressly against her daughter’s instructions and getting herself into a dangerous situation.
“Am I glad to see you, Mother, but don’t ever do anything like that again.”
“It’s always a mistake not to tell people where you are going, Mrs Hartley,” said Gary.”
‘I know that now, Mr Hurley.”
“Call me Gary then, officially. I’m really glad to see you alive and well and. I’m sure you’re going to tell us the whole story, aren’t you, and if my suspicions are right, you’ve actually helped to crack a case the colleagues have been baffled about for ages.”
“I have? You can call me Gloria if we are going to be friends.”
A warning look from Cleo stopped Gary from announcing his new relationship with her.
“It was that phone call, you see...” Gloria started.
“Wait a moment. I’ll have to record our interview, Gloria, so that the colleagues from the drugs squad are brought up to date on what is also their case.”
Over coffee, Gloria retold her adventure. Gary asked a lot of questions. Gloria was a mine of information, as far as he was concerned. Cleo thought she might be embroidering some of it, so far-fetched did it all seem.
“So the man named Gregor and the woman named Lauretta were just protecting you, were they?”
“So they said. I didn’t see them again. I think I heard a car leaving. It must have been about 5 a.m.”
“But you didn’t try to get out, did you, Mother?”
“No, Cleo. They had warned me not to because it had to look as if I’d been imprisoned. Anyway, I didn’t want to do anything else I might regret.”
“Very wise,” said Gary. “I don’t suppose you’ve heard the latest on the two individuals who kept you prisoner, have you?”
“They got a plane to somewhere. They didn’t tell me where they were going.”
“Look at these passport photos,” said Gary, spreading them out on the table. “Can you confirm who they are?”
“That was fast work. You police guys sure are efficient.”
“We do our best and sometimes events are forced on us, Gloria.”
Gloria looked at the photos. She was thinking back to her brief encounters with Sandra Rossi. The likeness was uncanny.
“If I didn’t know that Sandra Rossi had been murdered I would think this was a photo of her. But I suppose it is Lauretta, isn’t it? I recognize the man. That’s Gregor. An awesome guy! I couldn’t decide what the relationship is between them.”
“Was, Gloria. And his real name is Howard Smith.”
“Was?” said Gloria.
“I’ll explain in due course,” said Gary.
“He is not dead, Gary. You said so.”
“I did, Cleo, but his days as Gregor are over.”
“I expect they are,” said Cleo.
“Gregor is a better name for him, Gary,” said Gloria. “I think he mentioned a Russian sounding surname, but I forgot it immediately.”
“He had two passports on him, one in each name.”
“Whatever for?” said Gloria.
“In their line of business it’s useful.”
“What line?”
“Espionage, Gloria. I thought you’d have guessed by now.”
“I didn’t know what to think from the moment Sandra Rossi’s double appeared in that doorway.”
“The name on the passport belonging to this photo is Sandra Rossi.”
“It’s about as weird as it can get, Gary. I thought I had identified that lady in the mortuary.”
“You might have. On the other hand, it could have been the lady in Birmingham named Lauretta. DNA tests will quite possibly show that they are identical twins.”
“Lauretta said they were cousins.”
“I expect that was also in aid of protecting the real Lauretta. On the other hand, they had probably made a sport of swapping identities now and again.”
“Like Edith and Clare, Mother.”
“A deadly sport in this case,” said Gloria.
“How true! I think I should tell you without further delay that the second twin - whichever that was – met her death this morning.”
You could have heard a pin drop. Cleo came to the rescue.
“Mother, you don’t know just what a lucky escape you’ve had. If you’d had to go along in that car...”
“…You might also have been killed, Gloria,” Gary finished.
“So the woman who called herself Lauretta was killed in that car crash. What happened to that Gregor guy?”
“It was not a car crash, Gloria. It was a bomb, but not a very efficient one. The man you called Gregor was thrown clear. He’s unconscious in hospital, but he’ll probably live.”
“This is truly a nightmare,” gasped Gloria.
“That’s what comes of meddling, Mother.”
“I didn’t meddle. I just wanted to do the right thing.”
“I don’t think for a moment that your actions were connected with the car bomb, Gloria. It could have been planted before you visited the house. It was detonated by remote control. I don’t think that whoever planted that bomb would want it to go off in a quiet suburb. The car carrying the bomb will have been followed and the bomb detonated on the open road somewhere.”
“Awesome, Gary!” said Gloria.
“The question now is whether there’s a similar device in the house. We are speculating on Gregor having organized the assassination of Sandra Rossi for reasons we have yet to find out.”
“But he was injured by the bomb.”
“The Rossi woman was driving. The bomb was a small one on the driver’s side.”
“I don’t believe that, Gary. It’s more likely that someone had it in for Gregor and thought he would be driving,” said Cleo.
“My version is more plausible,” said Gary.
“Would working for both sides make him a double agent, Gary?’ Gloria asked.
“yes Gloria.”
“I just can’t believe that Gregor put a bomb in a car he was going to travel in,” said Gloria.
“That’s something else we’ll have to deal with. He probably intended to get out on some pretext or other before it went off, but I’m only speculating and the bomb was not efficient.”
“If it’s how you say it was, he was taking a huge risk.”
“Spies take a lot of risks, Gloria. It’s part of their job.”
Cleo thought Gloria looked really frightened now. It was time to get her home, but Cleo was more anxious about her safety than ever, now she knew so much about the Rossi affair.
“What if the Rossi woman had stopped the car on some pretext but had not had time to get out?”
“We are in the realm of speculation on all this,” Gary said. “Let’s hope Gregor is willing to talk.”
“If he does not die first,” said Cleo.
“There’s a guard on him, Cleo.”
“That won’t stop him dying, Gary.”
“What do you suggest?”
“Get him to a secret address.”
“That would take weeks to organize.”
“Rather you than me,” said Cleo. “Do you think anyone else saw you go in the house, Mother?”
“I didn’t see anyone.”
Gary was sorry he had gone to such lengths to explain the situation. A warning would have been enough.
“I shouldn’t worry about that, Gloria. The bomb squad will search the house from top to bottom, just in case, but it’s on the cards that the car bomb was a deliberate attempt at the second Rossi woman’s life and not intended for anyone else.”
“I hope you’re right, Gary. I’ve just remembered something else. Sandra Rossi – the Birmingham one – told me she worked for Interpol or MI6 or something.”
“She told you that? Spies don’t usually admit to affiliation with secret service organizations. To be on the safe side, we’ll have to ask you not to go to your flat for the time being, Gloria. That’s the first place they’d look for you.”
“You can stay with us for as long as you need to, Mother.”
“I think I’d be safer in Chicago than in Middlethumpton and I never thought I’d hear myself say that.”
“Don’t exaggerate, Mother. It’s all been a bit much for you.”
“A bit?”
“You know what I mean.”
“It’ll blow over, Gloria,” said Gary.
“And what if it doesn’t? I was planning to live to a ripe old age.”
“And you will if you just keep your eyes skinned for anything unusual and let us know. We’ll deal with it. That’s what we’re here for.”
“My next stop is that Travel Agent’s down the road. I’ll clear out of here for a few weeks.”
“That’s probably a good idea, Gloria. But just wait a moment. An officer will accompany you there and to your daughter’s house. In plain clothes, of course.”
“A bodyguard?”
“Sort of.”
Gloria was impressed. Cleo was now alarmed. How serious was the situation?
“No, Gary,” she felt bound to say. “We’ll just go by ourselves. We’d be even more conspicuous with a bodyguard in tow.”
“You have no choice, Cleo. Your cottage is already under surveillance in Upper Grumpsfield. Surely you can’t object to that.”
“Not if you’re inconspicuous, though I’m not sure my partner will be overjoyed. What do you expect to happen?”
“It’s just a precaution.”
By the time Cleo and Gloria, accompanied by a young policeman who was more nervous than they were had sorted out a last minute flight to Chicago and called in at the library to check that Clare was coping, Cleo felt a bit calmer. They took a taxi back to Upper Grumpsfield, chatting with the bodyguard almost like old friends, which was exactly the right impression to make. A neutral looking car was already parked across the road from Cleo’s cottage. A plain clothes policeman got out, showed them his ID card and reassured them that the car was ‘one of ours’.
Cleo phoned Gary and told him the car was too conspicuous. He laughed and told her it would be gone by morning. They had identified the gang that probably murdered the woman Gloria had identified as Sandra. The London colleagues were rounding them up. They would be charged and kept under lock and key. He did not think that Gloria was now a target.
“But what about Interpol? Aren’t they mixed up in it?”
“Yes, but they know who works for them.”
The bodyguard received instructions that he could return to base soon. Gloria looked quite disappointed. She had taken a liking to the young policeman.
When Robert got home he was puzzled about the car parked across the road from the cottage. It was fortunate that he had not forgotten his door key, otherwise he would certainly have found himself in the uncomfortable situation of being marched off the premises. Cleo put him in the picture about the house surveillance and introduced him to the young copper, who was sitting demurely in the corner of the living room.
Despite, or maybe because the situation was so dramatic that Gloria now had a bodyguard, though only for a short time, Robert was shocked to the core at Gloria’s account of her misadventure. She told him she would be going ‘home’ very soon. She was sorry she would have to miss the wedding, but she had managed to book a flight to Chicago for the following Friday. She would feel safer there. There was no way she was going to stick around as a sitting target for some assassin or other.
Robert smiled broadly.
“Well that settles it, doesn’t it, Cleo?”
“Settles what?”
“We’ll have to get married before your mother leaves.”
Astonishment all round and panic as far as Cleo was concerned. How could she refuse to marry Robert after they had been planning for so long and how could she marry Robert when she was in love with Gary? Robert was amazed at his own daring. Gloria was delighted and touched at the suggestion. There was only one way to go, thought Cleo, and that was to use delaying tactics.
“That’s impossible, Robert. It gives us only a few days,” she said. “How are we going to get it organized?”
“We’ll manage,” said Robert, and Cleo knew that she would have to go through with it. She felt like the heroine in a Regency romance and wondered what you wore for what was developing into a sort of shotgun wedding. A crinoline would hardly be an option.